A Two-piece(2PC) ball valve, literally speaking, means that the ball valve is composed of two parts – a body and a cap. Both the body and cap are processed by lost wax casting. After the threads are processed, they are tightened with a specific torque, and under the support of the gasket, two parts become one part, and the ball valve is sealed. 2PC ball valves are the most widely used and are suitable for any application where the flow of liquids and gases needs to be controlled.
One is a female/female thread, and the other is a male/female thread suitable for connecting different pipes. This threaded end version dramatically facilitates the user; it only needs to tighten the line (in the case of a taper thread). JINSON Fittings’ 2PC ball valves are designed according to ASMEB 16.34, and the temperature range is from minus 20 degrees to 180 degrees Celsius, and the working pressure is 1000psi. Next, let’s look at the structure of the 2PC ball valve.
Ball Valve Structure
- The diagram shows that the entire two-piece ball valve consists of 13 accessories. It should be noted that if you choose a 316 (CF8M) stainless steel ball valve, then the four accessories like, body, cap, stem, and ball, must be made of 316 stainless steel, and the three accessories like gland, nut, and handle must be made of SS304. To reduce production costs, many suppliers will replace stem, ball, gland and nut, and other accessories with SS201, significantly reducing the service life of stainless steel ball valves. If you are purchasing a two-piece ball valve made of 316 material, please confirm with your supplier again whether the material of the accessories meets the standard. If you want to know more, you can also email me.
- Closer to home, the diameter of the opening of the ball in the two-piece ball valve is the same as the diameter of the beginning of the body, which is what we often call a full-bore ball valve, which means that this one will have a greater flow rate than the reduced-bore ball valve; In the 2PC ball valve, the essential structure is: ball, stem, and handle are closely connected, and we control the handle to rotate the ball so that it can reach the state of flow and closure (as shown in the figure). A PTFE gasket connection is used between the two fittings for effective sealing. The maximum temperature that PTFE seats can withstand is 180 degrees Celsius, which also determines the temperature range. On the choice of handle: This kind of long handle with a lock is the most common on 2PC ball valves. You can lift the lock device and complete the opening or closing of the valve. After the operation, the lock device will automatically slide down to the lock position to prevent your misoperation. Of course, there is also a version without a lock handle for you to choose from, except that there is no lock device, the version without a lock is the same as the version with a lock.
If you are using it in a limited space, you can also choose the butterfly handle version (as shown in the picture); the length of this handle is shorter, basically the same as the length of the body, allowing you to be flexible in a limited space open and close. Still, this handle can only be used in sizes between DN8-DN40, and the larger size cannot be used. Usually, the handle cover is blue; if you need to customize the color you want on the handle (as shown in the picture) or customize your logo, please get in touch with me.
Ball Valve Process
As we emphasized in the previous paragraph, the body and cap are casting, like the 150lbs threaded fittings. After the body casting, process the threads according to your requirements, according to ISO7/1 or standard American NPT. After the threads are processed, the ball valves are assembled on the assembly line. The pressure tightness test is the most essential part of the processing link. After assembly, we will strictly follow the API598 standard for testing; the ball valve is placed on the pressure apparatus for pressure seal test, clamped, pressurized to 5-7 bar, closed the valve, and left to rest for 60 seconds to begin deflating, where there is gas emergence to prove that the ball valve is available. JINSON Fittings ensure that each ball valve you receive passes the rigorous pressure test. After completing all the tests, you will receive a perfect 2PC ball valve without problems.
- Easy To Install: 2PC ball valves are lightweight, small, and have a simple structure. Its small diameter makes it easy to install, and the small actuator size facilitates frictionless movement.
- Minimal Fluid Resistance: In this type of ball valve, the resistance coefficient is equal to that of a pipe of the same length, which means that fluids can flow through seamlessly.
- Good Sealing Performance: These ball valves close tightly and have a strong seal, which gives them high sealing performance, hence, reducing the possibility of leakage. Materials like PTFE are used on the sealing surface.
- Easy Maintenance: The valve structure is simple, which makes it easy to maintain. When it is fully open or closed, the seat sealing surface is isolated from the fluid, which minimizes the risk of erosion of the sealant.
- A two-piece ball valve has a body that is composed of two halves that are threaded together. This type of valve is less expensive than a three-piece ball valve but less durable. Additionally, a two-piece ball valve is more likely to leak than a three-piece ball valve.
2PC ball valves can be used for various applications since their diameter can vary from DN8 to DN100. Its simple structure, high sealing performance, and operational convenience make it ideal for use under high-pressure or vacuum conditions. A 2PC valve should suffice if cost savings is your primary concern. In general, through our analysis of product structure, processing methods, advantages, and disadvantages, we hope to give you a more intuitive understanding of two-piece ball valves.
If you’ve decided that ball valves suit your project, you must find the right size and type. Start by exploring the range available at JINSON Fittings. We offer stainless steel ball valves, in ¼-inch to 4-inch. We’ll help you select the right components for your project, and we’ll be able to match them with the fittings you need.